Sunday, October 26, 2008

Volleyball and trail running

So Friday I took Amalia to her first official Hokie sporting event, a women's volleyball game. We went early because it was faculty night so I got a free pair of Crocs. Amalia seemed to have more fun running around the arena than watching the game. We finally had to leave when she insisted on going onto the floor and I wouldn't let her. 
Saturday I did the Brush Mountain Breakdown trail running race. I did the 15 miler which ended up being 16 miles with 4750ft of climbing... let me explain. It started off well enough, given that it was below 50 degrees and raining. It rained all day friday so the trails were nice muddy. At the top of the main climb I got lost. The trail was marked with baking flour but it had washed away and I got confused by the markers for the mountain bike race the next day. The daze of exhaustion didn't help. Anyways, thats why the 15 miles race became 16 miles. That ended up being significant. I was lost on top of the mountain and it was super windy and I got cold. Then I found my way back onto the trail and figured I had about 7 miles left. So I started down the mountain. Then I started to bonk. I had been eating but I should have eaten more as the cold was taking it out of me. Then with 2 miles left I started to cramp, bad. With a mile left I had to stop as my quads were locking up. It was horrible. I finally made it to the finish but was one of the last I think. The take home message, if you are going to do long races, you should probably do long runs.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Hey Ig! Love your blog! I did the Nike Women's half marathon a while back. It was via the iPod+Nike thingy...where you run...anywhere...on your own...then download your run that evening and you see how you did against other runners who did the same. Anyhow, I totally feel your pain (literally) because I was running on my own...miscalculated distance...and ended up running 16 miles vs. 13.1. Ouch! Anyhow, good job on the running! Best,
-Sara O'.