Monday, June 23, 2008

5K

Saturday evening was a Summer Solstice Fest here in Blacksburg. As part of it they had an evening 5k that went right by our house. I figured I might as well do it and actually have been targeting it, sort of. The gun went off and we were running. There were lots of highschool kids and a few college runners. I was immediately in the top 10 and stayed there the whole race. I finished in 6th overall, first in my age-group, with a time of 18:31 for an average of 5:59/mile. I was pretty happy. The funny thing is that a 14 year old kid flew by me in the last half mile going downhill. He was just striding out and I was trying not to stumble and fall! I wore the heartrate monitor and averaged 190bpm with a max of 199. Ouch. Amalia and Lisa watched me run by and apparently Amalia was unhappy that she wasn't allowed to run after me. She's a good coach!

No comments: