Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Riding in Belgium

I was in Belgium for a week or so for a conference. I took my bike so I could do a few rides in one of the great areas of the world for riding. There are so many famous races in Belgium its hard to count. Most are one day classics. I was in Leuven and rode down into the Ardennes around Liege a couple of times. This hilly area is a lot like the area around Blacksburg. I went on a 90 and 95 mile ride. The first ride was great with great weather. The second ride was also great but I got dumped on three separate times. It wasn't too cold so getting met wasn't so bad. I rode up the Mur de Huy which is a famous climb from the Fleche Wallone. The climb is 1.3km and averages around 10% I think. There are sections above 20% which make it brutal. Some german guy wanted to race me to the top so I beat him. Another guy was there so we took pictures of each other. Good fun!

No comments: